8.8 earthquake hits japan, followed by tsunamis

If it was a human it may be able to swim to safety :(

its amazing the amount of determination the Japanese people and cats have. I for one want to buy that cat, and I hate ****ing cats!

its amazing the amount of determination the Japanese people and cats have. I for one want to buy that cat, and I hate ****ing cats!

So don't **** them then.

Why are there so many people here that hate cats?

They are far superior creatures to dogs, they don't play by any rules!

I don't see how you can hate cats. They're an integral and important part of our society. Without them, we wouldn't be able to function. Plus, I'm sure there would be an increase in the number of crimes related to passion due to the absence of a certain, affectionate animal there to comfort those crazy people.

So yeah, it's kind of like trying to hate oxygen. IT AIN'T GONNA WORK.

Why are there so many people here that hate cats?

They are far superior creatures to dogs, they don't play by any rules!

How is that a bonus? Would you like a person who didn't play by any rules? Just stole your stuff and stabbed you for fun? ****ed your wife and ate food off your plate? Jaywalked naked across a street in front of a school playground? Yeah that's a cat for you. Cats are assholes. At least a dog is loyal. Plus you can teach a dog to do awesome things like bite cats.

Perhaps you should keep a closer eye on your stuff, including your wife. ZING.

How is that a bonus? Would you like a person who didn't play by any rules? Just stole your stuff and stabbed you for fun? ****ed your wife and ate food off your plate? Jaywalked naked across a street in front of a school playground? Yeah that's a cat for you. Cats are assholes. At least a dog is loyal. Plus you can teach a dog to do awesome things like bite cats.
Stab you for fun? You must have had nothing but terrible experiences with cats. Or maybe cats can smell the dog hair on your clothes. Either way, you're missing out on some seriously adorable affection. There's nothing as cute as being woken up by a cat mewing into your ear, only to burrow under the covers and purr, sleeping in the crook of your arm.

Stab you for fun? You must have had nothing but terrible experiences with cats. Or maybe cats can smell the dog hair on your clothes. Either way, you're missing out on some seriously adorable affection. There's nothing as cute as being woken up by a cat mewing into your ear, only to burrow under the covers and purr, sleeping in the crook of your arm.

Yeah it's just trying to get you to give it food and steal your body heat.

Look, everyone knows that felines > canines!

Anyone claiming anything else is just bogus!

I hate the way she talks.

Anyway, I hear the French atomic energy authorities are saying that the Fukushima incident is now a six on the seven-point INES scale.

Japanese government insists it's only a four though but given how happy they are to withhold information from the public to avoid mass-panics I'm not sure if I should trust them more than the French.

Japan is a traditionally honour-bound and shame-adverse society, so in an ironic twist of self-preservation, it's this very honour and shame that might be preventing the country from fully disclosing the magnitude of the earthquake's fallout. The same thing happened in the 80's, when news reporters withheld information regarding fallout in Tokyo (I think it was Tokyo) presumably to avoid the shame of a damaged nation, or the shame of being the messenger to deliver the bad news.

Yeah it's just trying to get you to give it food and steal your body heat.
Take a long, hard look at your dog :p

Stigmata, err I don't really think it's about that, in this case the population itself is asking for more details and information but the government is reluctant to hand it out.

All Japanese persons and Japan-experts I've seen talking about it are saying it's something specific to behaviour of the Japanese government, not news agencies etc.

Note, I am only talking about the current event and the Kobe earthquake as well as the terrorist attack using Sarin nervegas, I don't know jack about the one in the '80s you are talking about.

Stigmata, err I don't really think it's about that, in this case the population itself is asking for more details and information but the government is reluctant to hand it out.

All Japanese persons and Japan-experts I've seen talking about it are saying it's something specific to behaviour of the Japanese government, not news agencies etc.

Note, I am only talking about the current event and the Kobe earthquake as well as the terrorist attack using Sarin nervegas, I don't know jack about the one in the '80s you are talking about.
I'm not saying it's the only factor, just that it's relevant and worth considering.

Yeah, I thin Stig has a point there.

Although Japanese society has indeed changed quite some bit, anyway. The Jap. Gov. needs to be more open about what we're dealing with here; the people need to be prepared, and they need information to do so. Otherwise rumors will persist.

The Swedish atomic energy safety agency is now urging cancellation of all travel to all of Japan that isn't absolutely necessary due to the escalating situation at Fukushima, they're stating that according to reliable sources within the Japanese atomic energy agency there is an alarming increase in seriousness and fears are running very high that this is about to become a 7 point event.

It's worth pointing out that the only nuclear disaster to ever reach a level seven on the International Nuclear Event Scale was the Chernobyl incident in 1986. To be clear, a level seven event is classified as a major accident and is considered the most serious.

Am I the only one who almost can't believe this is happening? It's so surreal. It almost feels some forgotten plot-point from Homefront.

The 'Fukushima 50' are working tirelessly to prevent a catastrophic meltdown at the nuclear plant. While thousands of people have evacuated from the surrounding area, these engineers have stayed behind to battle the problem Japan now faces. They are being hailed as heroes for their actions. The reason I bring this up is because they are extremely important in fixing the crisis at hand. They are doing everything they can despite the high levels of radiation they are exposed to. The sad part is, most of them aren't going to make it out alive, and if they do, they're probably going to get something like cancer in the long run.

They already got forced to pull out Shem, didn't they?

In case you didn't know, the Chernobyl NPP is still active and manned but the engineers and workers actually work in 15 minute shifts inside the plant at all times to minimize radiation exposure.

This has been on-going for many, many years.

It's a good thing it's not a Chernobyl-level incident, at it's worst the workers of Chernobyl were working in an environment where they had to work in 30 second shifts to avoid lethal doses of radiation, needless to say several of them got acute radiation poisoning. The ones that didn't die are now living with non-acute radiation illness symptoms and are being treated very poorly by the Belarus, Ukrainian, Russian and Estonian governments with their pensions being cut and their health-benefits being removed.

Worth noting is that we're talking about roughly 600,000 to 800,000 people here, with the most recent numbers I've heard having been around ten percent of them dead and a larger group having been disabled from the radiation exposure.

Not to lessen what's happening at the plant in Japan but I just want to put it into perspective. Also, I just heard on the news that the Japanese government announced that a few employees had become sick, but they didn't go into details with what sickness but I guess it's reasonable to assume that it's ARS.

The Swedish government agency in charge of radiation etc. says that a release of vast amounts of radiation is imminent because it is physically impossible to get enough water there in time. Shit is not looking good.

Plus the winds are transporting that radiation to North America.

In case you didn't know, the Chernobyl NPP is still active and manned but the engineers and workers actually work in 15 minute shifts inside the plant at all times to minimize radiation exposure.

This has been on-going for many, many years.

Uhh... what?

Uhh... what?

I should be clear, the reactor is not used to supply power, but due to how these things work, it can not be left unmanned and so continues to be crewed by a workforce to maintain safety on the plant as well as slowly work towards decommissioning the plant and all the equipment.

The last reactor was taken "off-line" in 1999, but people have to continue to work in the plant to maintain equipment, the sarcophagus and more until the other three reactors that didn't suffer catastrophic failure can be completely decommissioned, recent estimates have placed the time-frame at the entire plant being decommissioned by the early 2020s if nothing unforeseen causes further delays.

The workers that work in the deepest part of the plant have to do so in 15 minute shifts wearing fully covered radiation suits due to the amount of radioactivity that still exists in and around the plant. This has been going on since the accident occurred, which is now roughly 25 years ago.

Anyway, my whole point was that if these Japanese are heroes, then most certainly the people who have to work deep in the Chernobyl plant are heroes as well and should get that recognition as well from international media seeing as if they didn't work to maintain the plant and equipment we'd get more trouble from Chernobyl yet again due to the fact that there is as of right now no effective containment on site for the spent fuel rods, hence if no people worked in the plant to maintain equipment and storage, we'd suffer another quite major radiation leak.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit, I was as oblivious as this fact as many are until I last year read an article on it.

They already got forced to pull out Shem, didn't they?

At one point in time they were forced to pull out because of the escalating danger, but for some reason they went back in in the hopes of containing it. No one is certain if they had authorization or not, but I don't see anyone trying to stop 'em!

Ugh, friend linked me to Alex Jones ranting about this, he had a so-called "expert" on the show that decided to use the culturally quite offensive term "kamikaze-mission" to refer to the work the employees are doing at the plant.

Kamikaze is culturally offensive?

Never knew... Of course, it sounds stupid and I'd rather use the term suicide-mission.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You washwomen get offended by anything.

NF6a1.png

Information.

Back