Osama bin Laden is dead

HEY GUYS, WHY DIDN'T THE SEALS JUST KNEECAP OSAMA AND, LIKE, AIM FOR HIS TRIGGER FINGER TO INCAPACITATE HIM. OR WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST RAPEL THROUGH THE ROOF FOLLOWING A BUNKER BUSTER, SNATCH HIM, AND THEN SHWOOOP LIFT HIM STRAIGHT OUT OF THERE. OR SURELY THEY COULD HAVE DEPLOYED MICROWAVES AND MADE THE MANSION REALLY HOT AND UNCOMFORTABLE, FORCING OSAMA AND HIS MATES TO TAKE OFF THEIR CLOTHES AND RUN OUT FOR FRESH AIR AND THEN BAM US FORCES CATCH THEM WITH THEIR PANTS AROUND THEIR ANKLES.

Seriously, why didn't those military brainiacs consider any of those options. Next time you need to hunt a terrorist, hire me and I'll show you how to do it right.

/not aimed at anybody in particular, just a venting response to some of the insanity I've had to endure in the last 24 hours

People "bitched" for a valid reason. You had a knee jerk reaction to it. I think you would agree that if the opportunity was there to take him alive (finding him unarmed in a room for example) they should have done it. The order should not have been kill him no matter what (and Im not saying that was the order, I dont know).

Jesus Christ. Shut the **** up, you're all idiots.

HES NOT EVEN DEAD. ITS A HOAX.

obamamissionaccomplishe.jpg

hahaha

love it, kinda want to make a t-shirt out of this! and I have the printouts too

I'll be honest I don't imagine that the SEALs were told specifically to shoot to kill Osama, but at same time I don't imagine that keeping Osama alive was considered a priority either Vs avoiding casualties, given that the fire teams weren't exactly sure what they were likely to come up against in terms of resistance in what was clearly a beyond borders operation on a tight get in get out time schedule. The fact that the compound was next to a Pakistani military academy is pretty embarrassing from a political perspective, and it's fair to say that the first the Pakistani government probably knew about what was going on, was after the event which means those copters must of come in in hard and fast below radar. No doubt Paul Greengrass and Matt Damon are working on pre-production as we speak.

Osama being killed is no bad thing though. If they'd captured him it would ended up in some kind of show trial which would of dragged on for years and he'd be turned into a martyr by islamic extremists. This way he's gone and people can move on with their lives.

I don't know what we expected to gain from Osama anyway. He's at the head of everything and he knows the most, but he'd probably be impossible to break.

Putting the moral issue of torture aside I don't think he'd be that hard to break. If he was such a badass as everyone imagines he truly would have been found in a cave dead or alive, not in a million dollar mansion in the suburbs.

I don't know if you guys watched a lot of the news today (I had BBC news 24 on all day while working) and in the press conference it was said there was a fire fight at the compound, Osama even used a woman (believed to be the wife of another person in the house) as a human shield, as the gun fight continued. They killed everyone (3 others, one possibly his son), so it was understandable they had to kill him. The whole thing is a bit strange though, a black hawk helicopter malfunctioned near the compound and they had to blow the thing up to stop it being examined by pakistani officials. Very strange and vague, not sure if I buy that story.

Anyway, as a side point. Taking Osama captive would have been quite a large operation in terms of maintaining his incarceration and organising a trial for his war crimes & human rights breaches. It would have been monumental and very costly. I'm not a supporter of the death penalty and saying this solution was economically favourable over a life...but I think we know it would never have got that far with his health & legal delays. He would have probably killed himself before (refusing dialysis or the like). I'm also assuming he would be have been tried at the European court in the Hague, when it is possible the Americans could have taken him to home soil and he would be sentenced to death anyway.

Aside from our silly argument, it's a better day for someone so evil to have lost their privilege of life. It doesn't mean a huge deal in the scale of terrorism, it's great closure for the families of those affected and it's a great political image and psychological victory. I thought it hilarious a few pages back when Samon said he hoped American's wouldn't be out chanting "USA USA USA" in the street. They did so almost immediately :p

I found the people chanting "USA" in the streets to be too over-the-top and obnoxious, but then I find pretty much any situation with a bunch of 19-20 year olds yelling to be grating. I wouldn't mind though if someone personally connected to 9/11 were out yelling (but I doubt many of them actually were). That said, I don't particularly like the self-righteous people on facebook posting Martin Luther King quotes either. All the people I have on facebook are either fairly moderate, or quoting MLK :|

Mostly I just agree with Hectic Glenn that the whole thing went down about as well as it could've.

[edit] This bit on DNA matching is kinda interesting. I was wondering how they got a sample of Osama Bin Laden blood to match with. But it seems they possibly used his half-sister's brain tissue.

I don't know if you guys watched a lot of the news today (I had BBC news 24 on all day while working) and in the press conference it was said there was a fire fight at the compound, Osama even used a woman (believed to be the wife of another person in the house) as a human shield, as the gun fight continued. They killed everyone (3 others, one possibly his son), so it was understandable they had to kill him. The whole thing is a bit strange though, a black hawk helicopter malfunctioned near the compound and they had to blow the thing up to stop it being examined by pakistani officials. Very strange and vague, not sure if I buy that story.

Anyway, as a side point. Taking Osama captive would have been quite a large operation in terms of maintaining his incarceration and organising a trial for his war crimes & human rights breaches. It would have been monumental and very costly. I'm not a supporter of the death penalty and saying this solution was economically favourable over a life...but I think we know it would never have got that far with his health & legal delays. He would have probably killed himself before (refusing dialysis or the like). I'm also assuming he would be have been tried at the European court in the Hague, when it is possible the Americans could have taken him to home soil and he would be sentenced to death anyway.

Aside from our silly argument, it's a better day for someone so evil to have lost their privilege of life. It doesn't mean a huge deal in the scale of terrorism, it's great closure for the families of those affected and it's a great political image and psychological victory. I thought it hilarious a few pages back when Samon said he hoped American's wouldn't be out chanting "USA USA USA" in the street. They did so almost immediately :p

"Don't shoot, I have a hostage!"

f3xn0.jpg

so does the guy who shot him get the bounty?

Saw that on Kotaku - fantastic ****ing photo. Look at Hillary's hand-over-face and utterly horrified exposition. Powerful ****ing journalism. Immortalized photograph.

I also have a slight curiosity about the nature of Americans, when they go celebrate and chant USA USA. I mean, Bin Laden should have been killed, he had it coming for several decades now, but the response puzzles me a bit.

Are they cheering the death, or the victory? Do they realize that the war is not over yet, and won't be for quite some time? Yes, this is a victory, an important one at that, but war still goes on. The death? Do you cheer when a mass murderer is sentenced to death, or simply nod in grim satisfaction at the knowledge that justice has been served? I suppose I should understand at least partly, but I would imagine that nobody cheered in the streets when they captured Saddam, or completely routed the entirety of the Iraqi military forces.

Is it the overwhelming pride and emotion for their country that causes them to cheer like madmen? This I understand, but pride and emotion, at least for me, is expressed usually through tears.

I mean, I don't understand people in general (or anything that can't be graphed. If you can't graph it, it's not worth studying), so if there are any people that went on the streets celebrating, could you explain to me in detail what went in your mind?

Those people are ****ing morons, they don't know anything ABOUT ANYTHING. I understand that just another person died. Yes he had it coming and yes it can be symbolic. But it's not reason to start saying that anything significant has ended. Though it might just be the beginning of the end.

The general was playing COD: Black Ops.

Also, the guy in the background standing behind the guy in a suit looks photoshopped in.

I also have a slight curiosity about the nature of Americans, when they go celebrate and chant USA USA. I mean, Bin Laden should have been killed, he had it coming for several decades now, but the response puzzles me a bit.

Are they cheering the death, or the victory? Do they realize that the war is not over yet, and won't be for quite some time? Yes, this is a victory, an important one at that, but war still goes on. The death? Do you cheer when a mass murderer is sentenced to death, or simply nod in grim satisfaction at the knowledge that justice has been served? I suppose I should understand at least partly, but I would imagine that nobody cheered in the streets when they captured Saddam, or completely routed the entirety of the Iraqi military forces.

Is it the overwhelming pride and emotion for their country that causes them to cheer like madmen? This I understand, but pride and emotion, at least for me, is expressed usually through tears.

I mean, I don't understand people in general (or anything that can't be graphed. If you can't graph it, it's not worth studying), so if there are any people that went on the streets celebrating, could you explain to me in detail what went in your mind?

It takes virtually nothing to cause nationalist celebration in the US. It's just the nature of our country. Chanting USA is just one of the many ways it happens.

Yeah we all know Osama's death doesn't mean the end of terrorism or al Qaeda or the war in Afghanistan. I don't think any half intelligent person would believe that. The celebration isn't about that all. This person has been the face of evil in our country for 10 years. In all this time he's released videos glorifying acts that he orchestrated... and we all sat there and watched it helplessly knowing he was running around organizing new threats. It's not a victory of substance, but it is a victory that means a lot to a lot of Americans. Does that make them morons? Because a face that has tormented them for so long is no longer going to do so? Well then I'm a moron... because I'm pretty happy about it.

There's people already saying we should no longer be in the middle east period since he's dead...

It takes virtually nothing to cause nationalist celebration in the US.

Exactly. People chant USA! during the intro of the Colbert Report just because they're happy to see Stephen Colbert.

I hate that audience so ****ing much. I always have to go 2 minutes into the video before he starts talking. He should man up like Stewart and talk over those ****s.

We're taking away all your health care and benefits and giving the money to multi-billion dollar corporations.

USA! USA! USA! USA!

c5wJQ.jpg

I really hate this country sometimes. Still beats the hell out of many other places.

It takes virtually nothing to cause nationalist celebration in the US. It's just the nature of our country. Chanting USA is just one of the many ways it happens.

Yeah we all know Osama's death doesn't mean the end of terrorism or al Qaeda or the war in Afghanistan. I don't think any half intelligent person would believe that. The celebration isn't about that all. This person has been the face of evil in our country for 10 years. In all this time he's released videos glorifying acts that he orchestrated... and we all sat there and watched it helplessly knowing he was running around organizing new threats. It's not a victory of substance, but it is a victory that means a lot to a lot of Americans. Does that make them morons? Because a face that has tormented them for so long is no longer going to do so? Well then I'm a moron... because I'm pretty happy about it.

Ok, now I understand. But did you go around chanting in celebration?

Ok, now I understand. But did you go around chanting in celebration?

I went on facebook and made some snarky comments and then went back to playing Killzone. I don't know any people who went around chanting in celebration, but then this is a quiet neighborhood.

AHAHAH, and thats why America WINS EVERY TIME! "Oooo, Oooo, I'm cryin' to show my pride".

AHAHAH, and thats why America WINS EVERY TIME! "Oooo, Oooo, I'm cryin' to show my pride".

Im saying that its the image that comes to mind you freak. :p

****. Try listening to how we are the final.bastion of free democracy and we must continue to hold the mother****ing line against hordes of russians and chinese commies because it is our duty to the free world and how if we fall the pacific falls and humanity falls to communism and little teenage girls had to charge at tanks hugging bombs to save us and the world.from.the communists without a tear.

Well excuse me, America doesn't cry about it's problems; we punch it in the face. Then we take out some guns and shoot beer cans to celebrate.

I am sorry if I offended you, as I was not being serious. I actually cry quite often. ;(

This thread just went amazing places. This message is approved by the United States of Awesome.

Well excuse me, America doesn't cry about it's problems; we punch it in the face. Then we take out some guns and shoot beer cans to celebrate.

I am sorry if I offended you, as I was not being serious. I actually cry quite often. ;(

And that's why I love having America as an ally. Because it beats the hell out of everything.

I don't get offended often, especially not on the Internet :p

Also note that I am physically incapable of crying

I cannot prevent myself from imagining that briefly before the start of the mission Obama was patched into the SEALS' radio to say "Gentlemen, this is the President of the United States...we're right behind you tonight. Good luck and godspeed." Because who in that situation could resist going to all possible effort to make the whole thing exactly like a movie?

Also Stephen Seagal was on the helicopter when it got blowed up so Kurt Russell had to handle it.

Co6ap.png

Back